Not all salt licks are created equal. Many salt blocks are just lumps made of the same little white crystals you have at your dinner table. While white salt is fine for your stable mates and livestock, the other trace elements they need, like calcium and iodine, are missing. On the other hand, you could add a mineral block to their forage to give them the full spread of necessary vitamins and minerals, but most mineral blocks have about ¼ of the salt content that a salt lick would have, and that’s 4 times as much licking to get to the salty goodness. Himalayan Pink Salt naturally contains 84 highly absorbable trace elements, including calcium, phosphorus, magnesium, iodine, potassium, and of course… salt! An ideal balance between a salt lick and a mineral block that’s organic and unprocessed for healthy horses.
Sodium is the main electrolyte found in the blood and the fluid surrounding cells. It is the medium through which nerves communicate and cells transmit hormones, so if sodium levels are low, the blood won’t retain enough water and cellular processes begin to break down. Having an available salt lick is a simple and effective way to allow horses to seek out salt replenishment as they need it and keep them from becoming salt starved.
A visit with an equine nutritionist, extension agent, or veterinarian is the best way to determine your horse’s specific needs, but most horses need about 50 grams of salt per day. The pre-drilled and tied mounting rope makes it easy to hang the block from stable walls, tree branches, or trailer windows and then, just watch the block to make sure your horse is ingesting enough of it. Depending on professional recommendation, each 5lb block should last about two months per horse on average for proper intake. Make sure there’s also plenty of fresh water nearby, and don’t forget to keep the block clean.
- Mined from ancient deposits deep in the Himalayas, these rock-hard salt licks contain many of the valuable minerals your horse needs for a healthy, nutrient-balanced diet.
- Salt makes horses thirsty, which encourages them drink and stay hydrated. More water keeps the digestion system moving, which also means they can flush out toxins and help prevent digestion issues.
- Milliard Pink Himalayan salt licks are resistant to rain and biting, so they will last longer. Each Lick has a hole with a strong rope through the center so you can hang at the perfect height for your horse.
- Excellent source of iron, potassium, and magnesium, which replenish electrolytes lost during hard work and facilitate conversion of carbohydrates to energy at a cellular level.
- Helps reduce boredom while giving your horse the nutrients they need. Rich in valuable minerals essential to your horse’s health and vitality