This listing is for 5 Marimo Moss Balls of B-grade quality. The Marimo you will receive if you purchase from this listing may be slightly misshapen or have minor flaws in appearance, but are otherwise perfectly healthy and have the potential to reform their shape. These are one of the most popular plants in the aquarium hobby, and they are widely kept as ornamental plants in jars in Japan. The moss balls generate oxygen and remove nitrates, improving water quality. This is definitely something different for your aquarium that you don’t see often! If you wish, you can cut the moss ball into smaller pieces and the individual pieces will grow into separate moss balls. Marimo balls are regarded as good luck charms in Japan, and since they have been known to live to 200 years and beyond, they are often kept as family heirlooms. They are thought to symbolize close bonds between family members or close-knit friends, and are often passed down to children and grandchildren or nieces and nephews. By the time future generations receive the marimo balls, they will be larger in size and will continue to grow with each generation. Additionally, marimo balls are sometimes given to young children as “pets,” since the only care they require is occasional water changes. Marimo balls are also thought to represent everlasting love; thus, they are often used as wedding table ornaments or even gifted at weddings. They are appropriate as a gift to the bride and groom, and smaller marimo balls make wonderful take-home gifts for the guests that will serve as mementos of the newly-weds’ special day.
- Aquatic Arts is the best rated brand of Marimo on Amazon! Note that our Giant Marimo Balls are 2-2.5 inches, while others call 1.5 inch marimo “Giant”.
- Extremely easy to take care of. Keep them in any freshwater aquarium, terrarium, simple jar or glass vase. They can even live in tap water with a biweekly water change. No need for special lighting.
- Unique home decor ideas that make great indoor decorations. More low maintenance than other live plants like bonsai trees. These natural decorative plants also look great as interior centerpieces.
- Get creative with them. Build your own terrarium kit, use them as gifts, teach children how to keep them as pets, decorate your apartment, office, or patio with them.
- Our Marimo Moss Balls are extremely dense and guaranteed to be healthy. These aquatic plants grow slowly, so the moss balls you receive from us are 8 to 15 years old!